Manifesto for the good bench
1. Benches are valued as public, egalitarian and free.
2. Bench-space allows people to loosely belong within the flow of city life, to see and be seen.
3. Sitting on benches supports healthy everyday routines by enabling people to spend longer outside.
4. Benches function as a social resource: they are flexible places to spend time at no cost.
5. Design of benches is important. Comfort and accessibility are basic requirements.
6. People need to feel safe. Frequently used, visible spaces with a choice of seating can support this.